After a week off longer than expected thanks to last month’s storms, the Broncos were fresh and looking for their first win of the season. This afternoon a strong performance from an unrelenting Broncos side saw them come out on top 60 to 18 against the Castleford Tigers.

It was the visiting side who scored the first points of the game as their full back broke through the defensive line to put the ball down to the right of the posts, which the kicker failed to convert. The visitors came charging through again and got as close as the Broncos 20 metre line, but a knock on from the Tigers was picked up by Gideon Boafo who ran in an 80 metre try, and a try that Kieran Dixon would have been proud of. The Broncos took the lead shortly after as Josh Hodson claimed his first try of the match in the left corner, Rob Oakley failing to convert the two points. The Broncos had a try disallowed due to a forward pass on the 40 metre mark, given by the linesman on the far side and as a result, Castleford regained the lead as a grubber kick from the resulting set wasn’t dealt with by the Broncos defence, the Tigers #11 got his hand on the ball first to give the visitors the lead.
Half way through the first half, the Broncos started to take control of the match. The Broncos capitalised on a penalty on the Tigers’ 30, Will Blakemore powered his way over as the Broncos regained the lead and shorty after, the Broncos scored as the result of another penalty, as the visitors knocked on, on halfway with Hodson getting his second of the afternoon. The visitors did claw a try back before the end of the first half as a kick into the corner was pounced upon by their winger, but just before the half time whistle, the ball was worked over to the right hand side following a scrum on the visitors 20 metre mark, Niall Walker claiming his first try of the afternoon and Rob Oakley converted the two from the sideline and the Broncos led 26-14 at halftime.

The Broncos built on their lead shortly after the second half kicked off, a knock on from Cas on their own 10 metre line saw Lawrence Haywood score from the resulting set, the two points kicked by Rob Oakley. It was at this point that the Broncos started to take even more control of the match, the Broncos were awarded a penalty as Castleford couldn’t clear the tackle quick enough. Jacob Ogden weaved his way through 2 tackles to get the ball down on the left hand side and Oakley converted again. Jonah Varela then also danced over for another Broncos try but Horsman, who took over the kicking duties missed the extras. The visitors did claw a consolation on the hour mark, as the Tigers attack broke through the defence from within their own 20 metre line, the visiting number five ran 80 metres to put the ball down, but the conversion was kicked wide. Service resumed as normal 2 minutes later as Gideon Boafo went over in the right corner for his second and Oakley added the two points. With a few minutes left on the clock, a grubber kick on the last tackle from Oli Leyland found its way to Niall Walker and within the last few moments of the game Tom Firth powered his way through the defence, bouncing off one tackle to get the ball down.
The reserves had won their first game of the season by 60 points to 18 and will now look to build on the win.