When the 2010 season started, our club had only won one from thirteen, going back to Sunday, 14 June 2009 and we started the 2010 season with a 58 points to nil hiding at Warrington.

By April 2010, our club had won just one game and that had been months before at home to Catalans.

There was a lot of wipeouts and humiliations due to lack of squad depth; the RFL ruling of 2008 which required eight club trained players was certainly a factor as I felt we had no more than four of the required standard.

After conceding more than 50 at home to Hull KR our next game was Wigan Warriors away; a team which was four points clear at the top of the table and would go onto win the Grand Final that year with an 80% win rate in the regular rounds.

This top versus bottom clash looked daunting. Wigan had forwards like Fielden, McIlorum, Paleaaesina, Farrell, J Tomkins and O’Loughlin plus the likes of Sam Tomkins, George Carmont and Pat Richards in the backs, and also halves like Leuluai and Deacon in reserve.

But I felt that we were closing in on putting out our strongest side and was tempted both by the 10/1 odds to win, and particularly the 26 point handicap in our favour, so I lumped on the handicap and also put a decent amount on us winning.

On St George’s Day, a huge crowd of 18,605 at the DW Stadium saw our team run out in a Stadium in which it seemed everyone supported one team.

I was frustrated with the game, as although we scored first through Howell, at half-time Wigan were 24-6 up and I felt that we had lost our way after Ben Jones-Bishop was carried from the field with a fractured skull.

One more try for Wigan would take the game away from us; meaning a side who had won only two in over twenty games would need to score four or five tries at least to win away from home.

But in the second half the game of dreams took place.

In the second half, the legendary Luke Dorn, now playing as a makeshift fullback, scored two successive tries to take the game to 24-18.

Wigan took a penalty to put the game out to 26-18 but the game remained in the balance.

Orr’s kick ahead was taken in by Sharp to bring us back to just a two point deficit and the mood in the Stadium had changed, with the home faithful displeased at seeing Buster Douglas rise from the canvas.

Lightning fast Winger Kevin Penny then broke down the middle to set up the position for Cumbrian Captain Robert Purdham to put Quins ahead.
Purdham then set up hooker Chad Randall who skipped over and unbelievably we were up by ten points, having won the second half 32-2.

As the hooter sounded it was the proudest I had been away from home and with over 400 quid in my pocket too, it would be a day long remembered.