31 Mar 19
By Media Team
Posted in Team News

Broncos Academy comeback too late

Despite a resurgent second half, the Broncos’ U19 side couldn’t end a disappointing day of results as they lost to the Huddersfield Giants by 18-36.


The Giants had taken an early lead when Travis Corion went over in the corner, but points were hard to come by in the opening stages. Both sides will be pleased with the defensive efforts as neither side was able to gain the upper hand, in a fast and competitive opening 30 minutes.


Despite a tight opening half-hour, the speed of the half eventually took its toll and the Giants began to pull away from the home side, putting themselves in a commanding position.


The Broncos quickly lost control of the game in that 10-minute spell. First Aidan McGowan took advantage of an overeager defence to go over in the corner, and then a ball came loose from the Giants just before the tackle was dead, falling to Louis Senior who was able to ease his way through the scrambling defenders.


Things continued to get worse when Josh Pinder, Alfie Schultz and Finley Bruce connected well to send the sides back to the changing rooms at 0-20.


The Broncos benefitted from the break and after the restart, the game became a much more open contest. It took minutes before the Broncos got on the board, with Hodson touching down after Kai Pearce-Paul managed to slip away an offload.


Huddersfield were then on the end of another fortuitous piece of luck, when Broncos second row Christopher Ball managed to charge a kick down, only for it to fall into Giants’ hands, and Schultz was able to touch down for a try of his own.


With the ball, London proved what they were capable of throughout the second period. Ball shrugged defenders off in a great run that set Elliott Hutchings up to scoot from dummy half and narrow the gap to 12-26, before Oliver Leyland’s try brought the gap to just 8. His try coming as a result of some smart stepping that confused the stationary defenders and opened up enough space for him to breeze through from 20 metres out.


That was all London could manage though, and the game was put beyond doubt when McGowan and Senior both went over for their second tries in the closing stages. Despite the home side competing throughout most of the game, as the game finished 18-36 the Broncos were left to regret a first half that ultimately put the game out of reach.