23 Apr 18
By Media Team
Posted in Team News

Broncos bow out of The Challenge Cup

London Broncos bowed out of the Challenge Cup, on Sunday, to a Leigh Centurions side who showed Super League qualities to claim their seventh win on the spin.

It was an intense start to the game at the Leigh Sports Village, with both sides showing good attacking flair.

Leigh finally broke the deadlock in the 18th minute through Dawson-Jones after London gave up successive penalties . Reynolds missed the conversion, but Leigh were 4-0 up.
The hosts scored their second straight from the restart. London Broncos failed to deal with a high kick from Reynolds as Rhys Williams was outjumped and the ball was batted back into the arms of Liam Hood who went over. The conversion was good and London were 10 – 0 behind.
London Broncos were again caught off guard again as Leigh scored from the restart. Craig Hall made a break down the left side and the ball went through several pairs of hands before it returned to Hall who scored in the opposite corner. Reynolds added the conversion to put his side 16-0 in front after 23 minutes.

The first half firmly belonged to the home side as Craig Hall took on the line and got an offload away to Jack Owens who raced over out wide. Reynolds converted to put Leigh in a comfortable 22-0 lead at the break and London were left asking themselves some big questions.

The visitors were going to need a huge effort to get back in to the game but Leigh kept up their form in the second half. Ben Crooks darted through a gap in the London defence to score from 30 metres out. The conversion was good and Leigh led 28-0 after 48 minutes.
Crooks got his second just a couple of sets later following a pass from Bodene Thompson and again the London defence was breached. Reynolds converted and Leigh were 34-0 ahead.

London’s afternoon went from bad to worse when both Api Pewhairangi and Kieran Dixon limped from the field and a succession of basic errors led to Mason making a break, in the latter stages of the game, to assist the supporting Harrison Hansen who scored. Reynolds converted his sixth kick of the day to seal a 40-0 victory over a deflated London side.

Head Coach Danny Ward said, “We were in it for about 15 minutes and then they seemed to go up a notch. We cracked first and came up with a poor error and then we started making bad reads in defence.”
“Leigh went up a level and scored three back-to-back tries and we didn’t have an answer for it. There is a lot for us to work on.”
“We are still in a decent position and we are still happy with where we are at. We are still in the top four and we have still got a game in hand, so we are happy at the minute but there is a lot of work to do.”

This was a game that London Broncos will have to try and forget in a hurry as the Championship continues next weekend with the visit of Dewsbury Rams to Trailfinders Sports Club.

Leigh:- Mata’utia; Dawson-Jones, Crooks, Hall, Owens; Reynolds, Hutchison; Mason, Hood, Acton, Hansen, B Thompson, J Thompson. Subs: Higham, Richards, Bailey, Larroyer.

Tries :- Dawson-Jones (18), Hood (24), Hall (26), Owens (38), Crooks (53, 57), Hansen (78)

Goals:- Reynolds 6/7

London:- Dixon; Kear, Channing, Fleming, Williams; Pewhairangi, Meadows; Spencer, Sammut, Battye, Pitts, Gee, M Davis. Subs: S Davis, Bienek, Adebiyi, Butler.