21 Jul 19
By Media Team
Posted in Team News

Broncos do a St Helens double!

London Broncos won at Trailfinders Sports Club on Sunday and in the process the double at home over the Saints this season.

There had been much talked about with Saints making changes but a side with over 1300 Super League appearances arrived in London in confident mood.

The Broncos started well but faced early pressure from the so called under strength Saints 13. It was on four minutes the pressure was eased slightly as Jordan Abdull kicked a 40:20 to get the side deep into Saints territory.

The sets went back and forth until on 12 minutes on the last tackle a sublime cross field kick from Abdull was plucked from the sky by a flying Matty Fleming who was over behind the sticks for the opening try. Dixon converted his first of the day and the hosts led by six.

St Helens were obviously going to coming charging back after going behind and on 23 minutes their pressure paid off as the ball went out wide and there was Aaron smith to score. Danny Richardson converted and we were back to all square.

Less than two minutes later London were awarded a Penalty as Williams was dragged into touch by his neck and the touch judge was on hand to assist referee Tom Grant. From the ensuing play the ball went inside and there crashing over was Luke Yates for his first try in a London Broncos shirt. Dixon again converted and the home side led again by six.

The Broncos defence held firm even after conceding a GLDO on 33 minutes but the hosts did not lay down and when Walker was cleaned out running for the high ball former Bronco, Louie Macarthy Scarsbrook saw yellow and Dixon duly converted the penalty to give the hosts at 14 – 6 halftime lead.

The work rate of the London boys was phenomenal throughout the game but for all their hard work they were breached on 52 minutes when Saints broke the line, Richardson raced up in support and took the pass and went over for the try to make it 14 -1 2 and the natives seemed to start to get restless.

It took another 12 minutes for their restlessness to be curbed as Elliot Kear dabbed a kick through the Saints line on the last and Alex Walker was on hand to touch down just before it went out of play. Dixon converted and the lead was 20 – 12.

Unfortunately Dixon, who had been kicking so well, then saw the kick off bounce in goal and out as everyone in the ground agreed that it was looking as if it was dead.

The Broncos at this point were defending resolutely and on 71 minutes there was a crashing Matty Gee going over the line for the try. The Dixon conversion followed and with nine to play the Broncos had pulled further ahead.

The afternoon was rounded off on 76 minutes when Walker collected a bouncing ball and broke 60 metres down field to put the visitors under pressure again. The ball was moved across the field and a right foot step inside saw Matty Fleming over for his second of the day.

Dixon had kicked five from five and the score at the final hooter was a 32 – 12 win for the Broncos again pulling them level with Hull Kingston Rovers and Leeds Rhinos at the foot of the table.

Danny Ward said after the game, “We were in a no win situation today. If we won we were playing a St Helens B team if we lost we were playing a St Helens B team. The positives are you saw us beat Saints for the second time here. The positives are that you saw a lot of young talented players out there making their debuts. I thought Saints were fantastic and lets just focus on those positives and not the negatives.”

Next up at Trailfinders we await the visit of Salford Red Devils on August 4th.

Buy Tickets Now:- https://londonbroncosrl.com/match-day-ticket-sales/

LONDON BRONCOS:- Walker, Dixon, Fleming, Kear, Williams, Abdull, Fozard, Butler, Cunningham, Krasniqi, Pitts, Adebiyi, Yates

INTERCHANGES:- Ioane, Battye, Richards, Gee

TRIES:- Fleming (2), Yates, Walker, Gee

GOALS :- Dixon 6/6