31 Mar 19
By Media Team
Posted in Team News

Broncos leave too much to do

London Broncos gave themselves too much to do again as they lost to Huddersfield Giants 26-38.

The home side found it difficult to get into the game during the opening exchanges, and couldn’t match the visitors who found it too easy to gain metres and opportunities. It was the Giants who took advantage of that ground early as Joe Wardle forced his way over to open the scoring.

To their credit, the Broncos were able to stay within touching distance, thanks to a great run from Alex Walker who managed to find space in the Huddersfield line and make it 50 metres before levelling the scores.

From there though the Giants started to assert their dominance. Jordan Turner crossing first before Akuila Uate followed after the Huddersfield side pressed for repeat sets.

There were opportunities for the Broncos to get themselves back into the game, including a spell where they enjoyed four consecutive penalties on the Huddersfield line but couldn’t execute well enough to close the gap.

While at the opposite end Huddersfield found it to easy to complete well and find openings in the home side’s defence. Before the end of the half, the Giants would extend their lead through tries from Jermaine McGillvary and Sebastine Ikahihfo.

A neat grubber kick from Jordan Abdull sent Jay Pitts over, but it already felt too significant of a mountain to overcome when the sides went into the break at 12-28.

The Broncos did enjoy a more promising start after the break. First, Jay Pitts managed to pounce on a loose ball following a wayward Giants kick, shrugging off defenders before sending Rhys Williams on a 50m sprint to the line.

But the home side couldn’t gain any real momentum on an afternoon that high balls were punished in the wind and the pack struggled to penetrate. The away side extended their lead again through Uate after the Broncos struggled to kill the last-play option and allowed a crucial offload to open up space on the flank.

London would go in again twice more, with Kieran Dixon squeezing into the corner either side of an Alex Mellor try that put the game beyond doubt for the visitors. In the last quarter, the Broncos began to match the Giants, but couldn’t capitalise and bring the sides within reach as the injuries begun to rack up, including to Luke Yates and Elliott Kear, and the Claret and Amber started to take their foot off the gas.

Broncos now travel to Warrington on Friday 5th April before returning home, after the Challenge Cup fifth round, to face Catalans Dragons on Thursday April 18th.

Buy Tickets now:- https://londonbroncosrl.com/match-day-ticket-sales/