18 Feb 19
By Media Team
Posted in Team News

Broncos left wondering.

London Broncos were left wondering what might have been as they went down by 22 points to 12 at the hands of Hull Kingston Rovers on Sunday 17th February.

The Capital side were looking to bounce back from the defeat at Salford Red Devils and right the wrongs from the previous week.

Head Coach Danny Ward again named an unchanged squad for the trip but he would not have been happy with the start as his charges found themselves four points down within three minutes as Kane Linnett out muscled James Cunningham to go over.

The Hull born London halfback, who was making his 100th appearance for the Broncos, did make amends with a lovely pass that set Matty Gee free through the line and over for the Broncos first try.  Dixon converted and the Broncos led.

The half continued and Broncos looked to be gaining the upper hand with a great 40:20 from Fozard but the ball was knocked on as the try looked a certainty. Good runs from Yates, Battye and Dixon all deserved a Try as the result but the ball just would not stick for the visitors and what could have been a commanding halftime lead was only two points as the hooter sounded.

The second half started the way of the first and following a knock on in their first set the hosts were firstly held up over the line but good hands from the East Yorkshire saw Mitch Garbutt over for his first of two tries on the day. Former Broncos man, Josh Drinkwater added the extras and the hosts led 10 – 6.

Within four minutes Hull Kingston Rovers had pulled further ahead with a try and conversion from Craig Hall following an offload from the visitors that led to another knock on.

Garbutt’s second was the result of too many missed tackles from the visitors and the big man went over touching down next to the posts. Hall again converted and the gap had widened to 16 points.

Fifty seven minutes in a rush of blood from Eloi Pelissier saw the Frenchman chase a kick and miss time his challenge resulting in a Yellow card leaving the Broncos with 12 men for a ten minute spell.

The former Catalans man returned with no further damage done to the score line and when he dabbed a little kick through Will Lovell looked to have scored only for it to be chalked off for a knock on.

On 72 minutes the Broncos finally got back on the scoresheet as a lovely kick through from Jordan Abdull was chased and touched down by Captain Jay Pitts. Dixon stepped up and converted what would be his 100th goal for the club to narrow the gap but the damage had already been done and on the hooter the Broncos had let another one slip from their grasp.

Danny Ward said, ” We played well in the first half. I thought we could have capitalised on a few of the chances we had and maybe gone in at halftime with another try on the board. We talked about being smart, at halftime and the came out and dropped the ball in our first set. There are too many mistakes happening and we need to be smarter.”

London now move back home for the visit of Castleford Tigers on Saturday February 23rd Kick Off 5.15pm.

HULL KR: Dagger, Crooks, J. Keinhorst, Vaivai, Hall, McGuire, Drinkwater, Mulhern, Lawler, Masoe, Linnett, Hauraki, Greenwood.

INTERCHANGE: Lee, Garbutt, Lannon, Atkin.

TRIES:- Tries: Linnett, Garbutt 2, Hall

GOALS: Drinkwater 1/2, Hall 2/2

LONDON BRONCOS: Walker, Dixon, Morgan, Kear, Williams, Abdull, Cunningham, Mason, Fozard, Richards, Pitts, Gee, Yates.

INTERCHANGE: Pelissier, Ioane, Battye, Lovell.

TRIES :- Gee, Pitts

GOALS:- Dixon 2/2