21 Jun 19
By Media Team
Posted in Team News

Broncos on cloud nine

London Broncos are on cloud nine after coming from behind to beat Hull Kingston Rovers 26 – 24 at Trailfinders Sports Club on Thursday night.

With back to back wins against St Helens and Catalans Dragons the Broncos were looking to win three Super League games on the trot for the first time since August 2012.

Jordan Abdull got the game underway and within five minutes Alex Walker had chased a high ball and was taken in the air. Penalty to the hosts right in front and Kieran Dixon duly obliged with the two points and the Broncos led.

Hull Kingston Rovers exerted pressure on the hosts and they forced two goal line dropouts in the next 10 minutes.

The Broncos, however showed their resolute defence and after 26 minutes a ball went wide to Dixon who kicked back infield to an unmarked Morgan Smith who was over for his first try in a London shirt. Dixon missed the kick and the score was now 6 -0.

Within five minutes the Broncos had pulled further in front as a Penalty for a high tackle was slotted by Dixon and the gap was eight.

Hull Kingston Rovers were not going to lie down they took a high ball on their line and broke down field. The ensuing play saw a dab kick through collected by Weller Hauraki and touched down for their first try of the night. Ryan Shaw converted and as the hooter went for halftime the hosts led  8 – 6.

The East Hull side came out early for the second half and whatever Tony Smith said at halftime worked as within two minutes Adam Quinlan had gone over for the score and Shaw had again converted and the Broncos were behind for the first time.

Three minutes later the visitors were over again as Chris Atkin took an inside pass from on loan Daniel Murray and was over for the try. Shaw converted and within the blink of an eye the Capital side trailed by ten.

Jordan Abdull was kicking the side around the field and on 52 minutes he put in a 40:20 and within a minute the hosts were back in it as Alex Walker collected a sublime Morgan Smith kick to score the try. Dixon converted and the comeback was on.

Nine minutes later and that man Abdul was involved again. Firstly Dixon chased down a ball and seemed to miss the chance and following up was Abdull. Referee Chris Kendall sent it upstairs and Video Ref , Ben Thaler, decided that on closer inspection Abdull had beaten Quinlan to touching the ball down. The try stood and when Dixon converted the Broncos were back in front.

The ball went back and forth between the lines until on 75 minutes Rob Butler ran at the line and just kept going and as he hit the floor the ball seemed to be down. Again Thaler was in play and after a few different angles were shown the Try was given and Butler had scored his first try for London. Dixon converted and with three minutes to play the Londoners led 26 – 18.

The short kick off was effective from Rovers and with one minute left Josh Drinkwater went over to start London pulses racing. Shaw converted and the gap was now two points.

Broncos kicked, Rovers knocked on ands London Broncos had won their third game in 4 and moved off of the foot of the table.

Head Coach, Danny Ward, said after the game, “The middles put in a big shift – Luke Yates was outstanding, Rob Butler when he came on and Eddie Battye always plays big minutes. I was a prop so I’m biased – the wingers just stand out wide counting tackles and finishing tries.”

LONDON BRONCOS :- Walker, Dixon, Morgan, Kear, Williams, Abdull, Smith, Battye, Cunningham, Krasniqi, Pitts, Gee, Yates

INTERCHANGES :- Ioane, Butler, Fozard, Mason

TRIES :- Smith, Walker, Abdull, Butler

GOALS :- Dixon 5/6

HULL KINGSTON ROVERS:- Quinlan, Shaw, Linnett, Crooks, Hall, Drinkwater, Atkin, Mulhern, Lawler, Masoe, Hauraki, Tomkins, Johnson

INTERCHANGES :- Keinhorst, Lee, Murray, Livett

TRIES :- Hauraki, Atkin, Quinlan, Drinkwater

GOALS :- 4/4

London Broncos next travel to Castleford Tigers before returning to the capital to face Warrington Wolves on July 6th.