10 Jan 20
By Media Team
Posted in Team News

Broncos Reserves in close first game.

London Broncos arrived at Butts Park Arena to face League One Coventry Bears, in their first run out of 2020, in confident mood.

Tom Tsang named a young talented squad to face the Midlands side having moved from the Bears to London only three months previously.

The game started with some big hits going in as both sides tested each other out but it was London who gave up possession early as Chris Ball knocked on.

Ramon Da Silva put in the first real carry of purpose but it came to no avail as the ball changed hands and sets were completed.

Coventry finally broke the deadlock on nine minutes as Langton went over after a couple of missed tackles. Clavering converted and the hosts lead by six points.

The Broncos reserves made some mistakes as the game went on but Horsman put in a lovely kick to force a drop out and the Broncos tried to assert some pressure on the League One side.

Coventry went over again on 33 minutes through Cullimore under the sticks with Clavering again converting and as the clock ticked down Leyland lost the ball on halfway and after a kick on from the home side they won the foot race and Smith scored in the corner. Clavering could not slot this one through and as the hooter went Coventry led by 16 points to nil.

The second half started a lot better for the Broncos side and within three minutes Jay White had gone over in the corner to open the London account. Rob Oakley missed the conversion but there were clear signs of improvement from the visitors.

That was shown in even greater fashion when on 48 minutes Oli Leyland danced through the Coventry line and passed the ball to Joel Fosuhene-Gray who went over in the corner to bring the reserves even closer. Oakley again went wide with the kick but the score was closing at 16 points to 8.

On 53 minutes the Broncos were in again as a great break down our right saw the ball go through hands with Charles Hammond cutting inside to score and when Oakley converted the gap was down to two at 16 – 14.

The momentum, however was cut short as from the kick off Horsman spilled the ball and Coventry pounced first to kick through and see Cullimore get his second of the night. Clavering converted and the hosts led 22 – 14.

Hammond almost scored again on 58 minutes but was pushed into touch at the last minute and the half was played out as both sides tired and the score stayed the same with Coventry Bears taking the win.

Tsang will take heart from the second half performance with Jacob Jones and Jay White standing out for the visitors.

They now face London Skolars in another pre-season friendly on January 25th at New River Stadium.