09 Jun 19
By Media Team
Posted in Team News

Broncos turn the table on its head

This will be a day that Broncos fans will be celebrating into the small hours of Monday morning.

St Helens arrived 6 points clear at the top of the Betfred Super League table and would be looking to take the scalp of the Capital side sat at the foot.

Things went to plan for the visitors at the start as the visitors went over on five minutes as the ever busy James Roby scooted over from dummy half to open the scoring. Danny Richardson converted and the visitors were on their way.

Five minutes later and the gap between the sides had widened as Luke Thompson took the ball and was over under the posts to give the Saints a ten point lead. Richardson again kicked the extras and you would have been forgiven in thinking it was going to be a long afternoon.

The Broncos, however had different ideas and after a period of arm wrestle the Broncos finally went over. 26 minutes were on the clock when Ryan Morgan collected the pass and drove over taking three Saints defenders with him. Kieran Dixon stepped up and converted.

The ball went back and forth between the sides for a period of about 15 minutes until just before the hooter James Cunningham broke the Saints line and beat the defenders to score. Dixon again converted and as the hooter sounded  Broncos fans were in dreamland and the scores were level.

Straight after the break Naiqama should have scored when the defence opened up but he could not collect the pass. The Broncos just kept coming as they have done all season and forced a GLDO after seven minutes of the half.

Saints were given a Penalty just after the play and they opened the scoring when the ball went to ground, Regan Grace managed to f;lick it up to Mark Percival who went over. Richardson missed and the gap was four at 12 – 16.

Again the Broncos kept coming and when the Broncos forced the turnover in the Saints half the ball went wide to Ryan Morgan to touch down for his second of the game. Dixon too missed the conversion and again we were all square at 16 all.

On 66 minutes Ryan Morgan forced a GLDO and the Broncos this time took their chance. Th ball went out through the hands to Abdull who dabbed the kick through and their was the Captain Jay Pitts to score the Try much to the delight of the 2401 people in the crowd.

Dixon converted this one and with 10 to play the hosts led 22 – 16.

Less than a minute later the Broncos were again on the front foot as Matty Fozard kicked a 40:20 to put the hosts on the attack again. It was not to be this time as the ball went loose and the Saints started again.

The clock continued to tick down and the Broncos fans were getting more and more nervous and on 78 minutes the Saints scored out wide through Regan Grace. Still a two point gap and the kick was as wide as could be for Richardson. The crowd fell silent and he stepped up and converted much to the delight of the travelling fans.

So the hooter went and it was Golden Point for the first time for the hosts.

Broncos kicked off and within two tackles had forced former Bronco Louie Macarthy-Scarsbrook into the knock on on their own 10m line.

The scrum was formed and Rhys Williams took the first carry. The ball flew back to Morgan Smith in the pocket and it was over!

The Broncos had caused the biggest upset of the season with the 23 – 22 win.

LONDON BRONCOS :- Walker, Dixon, Morgan, Kear, Williams, Abdull, Smith, Battye, Cunningham, Krasniqi, Pitts, Gee, Yates.

INTERCHANGES:- Ioane, Richards, Fozard, Butler

TRIES, Morgan x2, Cunningham, Pitts

GOALS :- Dixon 3/4

DROP GOAL :- Smith

ST HELENS :- Welsby, Swift, Naiqama, Percival, Grace, Fages, Richardson, Lees, Roby, Thompson, Paulo, Peyroux, Knowles

INTERCHANGES :- Amor, Ashworth, Macarthy-Scarsbrook, Costello

TRIES :- Roby, Thompson, Percival, Grace

GOALS :- Richardson, 3/4

Next we travel to Catalans Dragons for the game next Saturday and then the visit of Hull Kingston Rovers on June 20th.