02 Sep 16
By Media Team
Posted in Team News

Giants quash Broncos at John Smith’s

Seven Giants tries and an incredible kicking game from Danny Brough (also including a try and six conversions) were just too much for the Broncos at John Smith’s on Friday evening.

London were in fact first to open to open the scoring, when a beautifully executed long pass from William Barthau made its way to Rhys Williams, who darted across in the corner. Leatherbarrow was unable to convert.

McGillvary and Cudjoe were the only two to score for the Super League outfit before half time, and Brough uncharacteristically missed one conversion attempt.

Though the first half was a particularly close one – the Giants went into the sheds with an unconvincing 10-4 lead – the Broncos were unable to add another point to their tally for the remainder of the 80 minutes.

Second half tries for the home side came from Lawrence, Brough, Murphy, and a second from man of the match, Cudjoe, in a comeback effort that was much too difficult for London to mount.

The majority of the 40 minutes was spent defending London’s own goal line – Leeming and Ta’ai managed to get close, but both were held up by strong defensive efforts.

Relentless attacking efforts finally took their toll on a tiring London defence, forcing a total of seven goal line drop outs, before an eventual final score of 40-4.

Speaking post match, head coach, Andrew Henderson, said his side’s poor second half starts were the most disappointing for him.

“It was a game of two halves – first half we were excellent, we executed the plan well, asked a lot of questions, were disciplined and defended hard.

“We didn’t start well enough in the second half, we didn’t have enough possession and conceded two tries in the first ten minutes. This gave Huddersfield the ascendancy.

“Danny Brough orchestrated proceedings, his kicking game was awesome, pinning us on our own line or getting his team repeat sets. Ultimately the pressure they put us under took its toll and despite the team’s brave defensive effort, we couldn’t get back into the game.

“The reality is, our poor second half starts are becoming a theme in these Super 8s games. Players need to take responsibility and address this issue as it has cost us against Leigh, Leeds and now Huddersfield.

“In each of these games we have been strong in the first half and lapsed just after half time. It’s frustrating to watch the boys work so hard together to compete and be in a position to have the chance to win the game only to let it slip early in the second half.

“At this level, you cannot afford to relax or clock off, as these teams capitalise and punish you.

“Once again, the boys showed pride and there was plenty of effort but we will have to work harder this week to get it right. We still remain fifth in the league table with three games to go, so realistically we do still have a chance.”

Huddersfield Giants: Connor, McGillvary, Cudjoe, Wardle, Murphy, Brough, Ellis, Crabtree, Hinchcliffe, Huby, Symonds, Lawrence, Ta’ai
Interchange: Leeming, Mason, Roberts, Ikahihifo

Tries: McGillvary (23), Cudjoe (32, 50), Wardle (42), Lawrence (54), Brough (66), Murphy (75)
Goals: Brough 6/7

London Broncos: Walker, Williams, Hellewell, Kear, Macani, Barthau, Leatherbarrow, Slyney, Cunningham, Ioane, Harrison, Garside, Offerdahl
Interchange: Ackers, Thackray, Battye, Magrin

Tries: Williams (18)

Referee: Mr James Child
Attendance: 3,794