18 Apr 17
By Media Team
Posted in Team News

London return to top four, running riot over Batley Bulldogs

London completed an Easter double on Monday, running in a total of eight tries, and keeping the home side scoreless in the first half at Fox’s Biscuits.

Only three days after a 30-16 victory over second in the league, Toulouse Olympique, the Broncos backed a strong performance up with an even stronger show – thrashing the Bulldogs 42-4.

The afternoon got off to a strong start early on – brilliant on the pitch all game, a cracker of a run from Will Barthau sent Elliot Kear over on five minutes, and Api Pewhairangi added the extras.

A mere four minutes later, a similar run from the flying Frenchman enabled Jay Pitts to dive over from close range. Pewhairangi missed the kick, but it still allowed London a 10-0 lead after only nine minutes of play.

The defensive effort from the Broncos was nothing short of immense. After Pewhairangi kicked for touch, a huge tackle from Ioane and Davis brought James Brown down before he could reach the half way line. Possession turned over, and allowed Rhys Williams a brilliant run – he sidestepped his would-be defenders, before eventually three of Batley’s were able to stop him. It wasn’t to be, and Pearce-Paul found himself tackled into touch on the wing.

The Bulldogs kicked for touch in the resulting play, but Alex Walker was on hand to field the kick nicely. A combined effort from Ioane and Harrison got London over halfway, before James Cunningham took superb advantage of a gap in Batley’s line to bag his first of the afternoon. Pewhairangi added the two from right in front.

With just over 20 minutes of play until the break, the Broncos survived eight repeated sets on their line, in a show of incredibly resolute defence. Batley ran into the sheds at half time without having been allowed to score a single point.

On the resumption, it took only five minutes before Matt Garside flew over the line on the right wing.

Batley’s solitary response of the afternoon came four minutes later – Farrell spotted his break and took it, but Pearce-Paul and Pewhairangi (who worked brilliantly together all afternoon), stopped him in his tracks 20 metres out. Lillycrop had another crack at the line, but Ioane put a swift end to his attempt. The ball was sent out wide to Day, and he barged his way over from close range.

The visitors cruised to an easy but much deserved victory in the remaining half hour – Cunningham bagged his double, and London academy products, Walker, Bienek and Pearce-Paul added three more scores.

Pewhairangi converted two from three, and London secured a 42-4 victory.

1. Dave Scott, 25. Michael Hayward, 3. Sam Smeaton, 19. Alex Bretherton, 4. Macauley Hallett, 13. Patch Walker, 7. Dom Brambani, 8. Adam Gledhill, 9. Alistair Leak, 10. Alex Rowe, 11. Brad Day, 12. Joel Farrell, 22. Dane Manning

Subs: 16. Tom Lillycrop, 18. James Harrison, 21. James Brown, 28. Tom Holmes

Tries: Day (49).
Goals: Walker 0/1.

24. Alex Walker, 2. Rhys Williams, 3. Ben Hellewell, 1. Elliot Kear, 29. Kameron Pearce-Paul, 19. Api Pewhairangi, 7. Will Barthau, 18. Ben Evans. 9. James Cunningham, 10. Mark Ioane, 11. Daniel Harrison, 13. Jay Pitts, 23. Matt Davis.

Subs: 12. Matt Garside, 33. Lewis Foster, 17. Mark Offerdahl, 31. Lewis Bienek.

Tries: Kear (5), Pitts (9), Cunningham (17, 73), Garside (45), Walker (60), Bienek (77), Pearce-Paul (79).
Goals: Pewhairangi 5/7.