08 Mar 19
By Media Team
Posted in Team News

U19’s suffer at the hand of the Saints

London Broncos U19’s travelled to St Helens on Friday 8th March in their second game of the 2019 season.
Following the 46-26 defeat to Wigan at home they were looking to bounce back against another very strong Academy side.
Things did not start well in the first half as within two minutes of kick off Saints prop James Pye broke away to score next to the posts. It didn’t help things either when the visitors lost Max Clarke early in the piece.
Dodd converted the first of his four kicks from six in the half as further tries from Horne, Simm, Nash and Hutchings with a brace put the London Academy to the sword.
The Broncos showed promise late in the half when Oli Leyland went down the outside on the opposition 10 metre line but was pushed into touch and the chance went begging.
Horsman showed some nice touches with his kicking game but on the halftime whistle the Broncos trailed by 32 points to nil.
The kick off for the second half was allowed to bounce by the visitors but Leyland collected and put in a jinking run up and over halfway showing the kind of talent that has landed him a contract with the first team in 2020.
In the main though the second half went the same way as the first as the superior St Helens side continued to run the show with some free flowing rugby and 47 minutes Simm was on the end of a move that went from one side of the pitch to the other to score in the corner for his second of the game.
Dodd scored for the hosts on 60 minutes as the Broncos defence parted and he again converted.
Finally on 63 minutes Chris Ball dived out of dummy half and over the line to get the visitors on the scoreboard.
Saints did not stop coming as they had throughout the game and on 69 minutes Ryan Horne breached the Broncos defence leaving them flat footed to score under the posts. The conversion was good and with ten to go the visitors trailed 48-6.
The home side did not let up as on 75 minutes Rizzelli went over in the corner and the icing was put on the cake on the 78th minute when the ball was sprayed form side to side finally ending with Foster diving over unchallenged to see the final score of 56-6.
The Broncos will now return to London and get back to the drawing board to reflect on a performance that Head Coach Huw Goodwin will be unhappy with.