07 Apr 19
By Media Team
Posted in Team News

Wire Academy too strong for Broncos

Warrington U19 32-22 London U19

Despite an impressive fightback by the Broncos U19 side they couldn’t get their first win of the season as they went down 32-22 to Warrington in a tight game at Victoria Park.

It was a nightmare start for the Broncos with Rian Horsman spilling from the kick-off, before Warrington took advantage and Ellis Longstaff opened the scoring. From there the visitors continued to struggle for during the opening stages.

The Broncos took five sets before they completed well, with a string of errors handing Warrington chances to extend their lead. Tries from Joe Barnes and Josh Thewlis put the Wolves 14-0 up within the first 20.

But the London side managed to work back into the game well throughout the first half and were often the better side. As halves Horsman and Oliver Leyland settled, the Broncos began to look the more promising side in attack. Eventually that pressure turned into points when Adam Green made a break to go over under the sticks, and a Leyland conversion sent the sides into the break at 14-6.

That gap could have been narrowed further after Kai Pearce-Paul and Max Clarke connected to open up a 2-on-1 but with the line begging, Leyland couldn’t hold onto a wayward final pass. Leyland soon rectified that in the second half though when, with the Broncos’ opening set the Wolves fullback spilled and he pounced to bring the scores to 14-12.

That set off a breathless second period where sides continued to trade scores. First Warrington’s Thewlis weaved his way through Broncos defenders for his second, before Jonah Varela went in for the visitors. The following touch-line conversion from Leyland tied the scores up, rewarding the side’s impressive resilience.

But the parity couldn’t last long, with Warrington hitting back through Longstaff, to extend the gap to six. Soon after though the gap narrowed again, as Varela did well to finish off a great passing move from the visitors.

But once within touching distance, the Broncos couldn’t manage to take the lead. As the team’s tired, the away side still looked threatening but that work was undone when George Roby managed to go over from dummy half. Warrington then put the game beyond doubt when Liam Brinksman touched down in the corner late on as the match finished 32-22.

The Academy side next play away to Newcastle Thunder at Kingston Park on Saturday 13th April, kick-off at 4pm